Thursday, September 5, 2013

My First Paper Postcard Swap. Lots of Origami.

I joined a postcard swap - collage word.  First time I did postcards (6" x 4") with paper medium. I cut the word "BLOSSOMING" from a Korean magezine and mounted the alphabets into a bloom.  The watercoloured background had the words "flower . bud . bloom . blossom" translated into 29 languages. 

All the participants came up with the unique concepts and interesting pieces - some with great quotes, some with pretty wordscapes.  I received from Cathy Calamas (USA) - "Finding My Wow".  The 2nd piece from Bev Baird hasn't arrive and may have gone astray :(

Joined another 2 ATC swaps at Paper Traders.  1 is "Map Mania".  Of the 4 I sent, the taxi in "Discover S'pore" can move up and down by pulling the string, The blocks of flats and and people can "pop up" in the bottom right card, while the girl will wobble in the other 2 cards.  
As usual, I'm keeping a set of cards for myself.


The other swap is "Wings and Things".  I wanted to use my new die-cuts (the little boy and little girl), so I ended up with butterflies fairy boys and girls!  I spent a whole day rolling them out, assembling and gluing them - real tedious.  Then I found these flat origami roses which I adore and folded 18 of them straight. 


Tatted another 18 tiny butterflies for a little surprise at the back of the ATCs.



Incidentally, Joey also spent a whole night folding these origami animals as a response to a article for a school project. 

Guess I'll just post the photos of my humble collection of thimbles. When someone from a group was talking about collecting thimbles recently, I found mine sitting nicely in a glass container in a forgotten corner.  I do have more thimbles than these - plastic ones, leather ones, metal ones - meant for working purpose, whereas these 6 are purely just for collection.  Don't ask me where I bought them as they are more than 10 years old, probably closer to 20 years. Oh yes, the windmill does move!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love your postcards! So creative and unique with all the different languages and alphabets! I live in NYC,USA. I enjoy visiting your blog, by way of ATC-Art Dolls. Sorry I don't have a blog, to share any of my work. Finding time to get that together.
Thks,for sharing,
Karen Murphy

Singtatter said...

Hi Karen, thanks for dropping by. Hope to be able to see your works and perhaps swap something with you soon at ATC-ArtDolls!

Christine said...

The map ones are really eyecatching!

Singtatter said...

Thanks, Christine!

Carla said...

I am always in awww of your postcards. They so intricate, beautiful and creative.
Thanks for sharing them with us. The moving taxi was cool.

I have a collection of thimbles too.